The Pharmacy Department at Providence Medical Center offers a full range of pharmaceutical services to patients 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We also provide services to patients at Providence Place, a long-term care, skilled facility located on the main campus.
The Kansas State Board of Pharmacy licenses our registered pharmacists. In addition to dispensing medicine, they provide drug information and education to health professionals and patients and assess the patients' drug therapy for drug interactions, drug allergies and appropriate medication management They also evaluate drug utilization for quality improvement efforts.
Services We Provide:
- Cartless unit dose drug distribution system — This allows pharmacists to automatically dispense medications throughout the facility.
- Drug Information Service — Our Micromedex/Carenotes Database provide timely, detailed drug information to healthcare professionals. The database is updated quarterly and includes information on the latest drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Centralized pharmaceutical services — Our computerized system provides accurate, efficient and timely dispensing of medications throughout the medical facility.
- Decentralized clinical services provided to inpatients — This allows the pharmacist to interact directly with the healthcare team and patients to better manage drug therapies.
- Renal dosing service
- Inpatient anticoagulation management
- Intravenous-to-oral dosing programs — We can evaluate the transition from intravenous to oral drug therapy.
- Antibiotic management — The streamlines the selection of the best antibiotic for an infection.
- Consults to the Palliative Care team — We help ease the pain of terminally ill patients.
- Intravenous services for large and small volume solutions, Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) and chemotherapy.
Anticoagulation Center (Coumadin Clinic)
The Anticoagulation Center provides continuity of care and seamless transition from the inpatient to outpatient setting for patients requiring Coumadin® therapy. Patients are seen by appointment.
Our registered pharmacists have special knowledge and experience in therapy for anticoagulation. The center's one-stop service includes:
- Stabilizing the dosage of warfarin (Coumadin®)
- Screening for drug-to-drug, drug-to-food and drug-to-disease interactions
- Point-of-care Protime/International Normalized Ratio (PT/INR) testing to monitor the effectiveness of Coumadin® and adjust the dosage, if needed
- Educating patients and their families about anticoagulation therapy
- Preparing and dispensing of anticoagulation medication if patient qaulifies.
- Coordination of Bridge Therapy and education for patients requiring short-term use of Lovenox®.
- Genetic Testing (CYP2C9 and VKORC1) to optimize dose for the management of blood clots and bleeding
For information on the Anticoagulation Center, call 913-596-4689.
To obtain a patient referral form, click here.